What is a Business Rule?
- A Business Rule is composed of a triggering event and of a list of actions to execute when the event is triggered.
- The most common use-case for Business Rules is the creation of an expiry date that is triggered the day or a few days before a document expires.
- A Business Rule is linked to a specific File Type.
- Multiple Business Rules can be set on a single File Type.
- Business Rules can be created and managed by workspace managers.
How to define a Business Rule?
- From Google Drive, click on the Powertools "setting" button
- Select "Manage File Types"
- Click on the "Edit" button next to the File Type to which you want to add the Business Rule.
- In the tabs on the left side, go in the "Business Rules" part.
- Click on the "+" button to create a new Business Rule.
- Provide the following details:
Description: description the Business Rule.
For instance, "15 days before the contract expiry date, send a reminder email to the contract manager."
- Trigger: defines when the list of actions should be executed. See the dedicated section below for more details.
- Actions: list of actions to run when the triggering event happens. See the dedicated section below for more details.
- Status: enables or disables the Business Rule. A disabled Business Rule will stop happening for all documents, already existing and new ones.
- Description: description the Business Rule.
- Click on "Add Business Rule".
- Save the File Type.
- Congratulations, your Business Rule has been created !
The list of available triggers is the one below. This list will be progressively extended depending on our customers' needs.
- On a specific date
- Days before or after a specific date
1. On a specific date
Launch the set of actions for the document on the exact date defined.
This date can originate:
- From a date metadata.
In this case, the actions will be executed for each document individually on the date provided in their metadata.
- From a fixed date defined during the Business Rules creation.
In this case, the actions will be executed for all the documents with the File Type on the exact same date.
Select if the Business Rule should be started on:
- "Metadata": select the date metadata that will be used to trigger the Business Rule.
- "Set date": select the date at which the trigger the Business Rule for all documents with the File Type.
2. Days before or after a specific date
Launch the set of actions for the document a defined number of days before or after a date defined in a metadata.
Parameters to provide:
- Number of days.
- "Before" or "After" the selected date metadata.
- Select the date metadata to use.
The list of available actions is the one below. This list will be progressively extended depending on our customers' needs.
- Archive file
- Send email
- Delete file
- Move file
1. Archive file
Archives the document in the archival space of the document's workspace.
No parameters needed.
2. Send email
Send an email.
The email needs to be defined by clicking on the "EDIT".
On the left side, the object of the email, the list of recipients and the body of the email need to be defined. The body can be formatted using HTML tags.
On the right panel, the list of metadata and properties that can be referenced in the email body and object are listed. Clicking on the chosen element will automatically add it at the appropriate location in the email.
3. Delete file
Deletes the document in the trash of the document's workspace.
No parameters needed.
4. Move file
Moves the file in the selected folder.
Select the folder in which to move the file.