What is a tag ?
Tags are a solution to classify, organize, categorize and finally retrieve documents more easily. Tags are much more flexible and quick to use than File Types, but they are also less structured. Whether to use Tags or File Types depends heavily on each use-case.
Who can set and edit tags ?
Tags can be set or edited on a file by anyone who has edition permissions on the document.
Where to find tags ?
Tags can be identified in two ways:
- By hovering the mouse pointer over the categorization badge, users will be able to see the list of tags applied on a file, as well as its File Type if any was applied.
- By clicking on the same badge, the tags appear below the description in the main Powertools window.
To add or edit tags on a document, follow the steps below:
- Click on the categorization iconto open the main Powertools window.
- Click on the "EDIT" button on the right side of the tags area.
- To add a new tag, type it in the field and press enter. As you type a tag, you get suggestions based on tags already used in other documents.
- To delete a tag, click on the "X" icon next to the tag you wish to delete.
- Once done, click on "SAVE" on the right side of the tags area.
- Congratulations, your changes have been applied.
Retrieve files based on tags
Files which have been tagged can be retrieved based on the tags that have been applied to them. To do so, all you need is to use the Powertools advanced search by typing the tag you are looking for in the Powertools search bar and selecting the matching suggestion.
To find more details about the Powertools advanced search, please see the dedicated article.